Here are some questions people ask me all the time.
- Can I really master my own music ? Should I consider going to a professional mastering engineer ?
- Can you recommend any plugins for mastering ? And are there any that are free ?!?
- How can I measure loudness, and how loud is too loud ?
If you’d like to know my answers to these questions, you have two options:
- Use the Search facility here and on my Mastering Media blog 🙂
- Listen to the interview I just did with Joe Gilder – it’s one of nine included in his excellent Home Recording Tactics series.
What is Home Recording Tactics ? In a nutshell, Joe went out and interviewed nine different engineers (in the picture above !) and asked them questions he wanted the answers to, like my examples and many more. There’s so much there that I still haven’t had time to listen to all of the interviews yet, but the ones I have heard are great, and I can’t wait to listen to the rest.
I could list all the highlights here, but it’s probably simpler to just send you over to Joe’s page so you can check it out for yourself. No, the interviews aren’t free – but they are insanely good value at the moment, and if you decide you want to get them, you’ll be supporting Production Advice at the same time.
The thing I liked best about my own interview, was the fact that it was a real conversation. I had some ideas about what we would talk about going into it, but like all the best conversations, when Joe and I got talking it went in some unexpected and cool directions !
I genuinely think all the interviews are packed with great information. If you’d like to find out more, click here.
Or, there’s always the Search box 🙂
[Update – Joe has allowed me to give my own interview to Production Advice readers for free. If you’d like to check it out, click here.